Each championship has three races and the player must finish above a certain position before they are allowed to progress to the next race.
At first, the player will be allowed to progress to the next race as long as they don't finish last, but as they progress, 1st place will eventually become a requirement.
If the player does not finish in or above the qualifying position, they can use a credit to continue and restart the race, with three credits available. Credits are carried over between each race in the championship, but there is no way to earn more.
There are six championships; four of them are Grand Prix events, and two are single races around the game's two marathon tracks; Euro Marathon and USA Marathon. There is no qualifying system in either marathon track, as the player must come first in order to proceed.
Journeyman Grand Prix
- Interstate (Finish in 3rd place or higher)
- Harbor Town (Finish in 3rd place or higher)
- River City (Finish in 2nd place or higher)
Completing this Grand Prix unlocks the Hillside Pass, Twilight Harbor, and Gridlock USA tracks for Single Race mode. Face-Off 1 and the Big Run Grand Prix are also unlocked.
Big Run Grand Prix
- Hillside Pass (Finish in 3rd place or higher)
- Twilight Harbor (Finish in 2nd place or higher)
- Gridlock USA (Finish in 1st place)
Completing this Grand Prix unlocks two tracks; Euro Marathon and Rush Hour tracks, the Euro Marathon championship, and Face-Off 2.
- Euro Marathon (Harbor Town and River City)
Savage Streets Grand Prix
- Night Shift (Finish in 2nd place or higher)
- Cliffhanger (Finish in 1st place)
- Midnight Run (Finish in 1st place)
Completing this event unlocks two tracks; Country Chaos and Sunset River, The Twilight Grand Prix, and Face-Off 3.
Twilight Grand Prix
- Rush Hour (1st place)
- Country Chaos (1st place)
- Sunset River (1st place)
Completing this event unlocks the USA Marathon track, the USA Marathon championship, and Face-Off 4.
- USA Marathon (Gridlock USA, Interstate, and Hillside Pass)